Saturday, November 7, 2009

You can’t talk your way out of what you’ve behaved yourself into.”

You can’t talk your way out of what you’ve behaved yourself into.” Stephen R. Covey

Dealing with people who work in mixed messages make me feel as uncomfortable as a very off balance scale. Perhaps it is because I am of German decent that I am very literal or perhaps it is because I was born under the sign of Libra.

Libra is the only zodiac symbol that's neither animal nor human -- but surely that doesn't make you any less human. In fact, Libra is among the most sociable of the signs. As scales of old were really "balances," so to do you seek balance in all that Libra does. You respond to situations with grace as Libra attempts to put others at ease. Artistically, Libra tries to balance form, content, colors and elements, and for this reason can be drawn toward creative endeavors. http://horoscopes.aol.com/astrology/zodiac-central/libra


After a little research, evidently, I am not the only one who feels confused by the Mixed Messenger.

One definition I found for mixed messages is; "A situation in which a person is receiving verbal or nonverbal cues that seem to contradict each other, from another person. Typical reactions to this behavior are confusion, anger, and a willingness to cease communication with the person." http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mixed%20messages

The example sited is, "A friend tells you he wants to remain "just friends," and then proceeds to call you every day, text message you twice a day, and express how much he misses you on a regular basis."

My curious nature leads me to ask myself, what does a person get out of delivering mixed messages? Followed by the next question, Why anyone is willing to believe the mixed messages?

Where is the the truth, in the actions or the creed?

If mixed messages are the mainstay of a relationship the only recourse may be to walk away.

To put it another way, " What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say. " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blogger Ann Althouse and followers had fun with the ‘peaches’ verse

"If you don't like my peaches,
Don't you shake my tree
'n Get out of my orchard,
Let my peaches be,"

Sitting on Top of the World,
the chorus of an unpublished song composed by Irving Berlin in May 1914:
http://althouse.blogspot.com/2009/05/if-you-dont-want-my-peaches-honey.html

I'm interested in other people experiences with a "Mixed Messenger".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails