Saturday, April 14, 2012

Metaphors & Memories

Metaphors & Memories by Carol Ann Rice Rafferty

Hilbert College - McGrath Library.
5200 South Park Avenue
Hamburg, New York.

On display until the May 1, 2012

The college will be holding an artist reception
April 26, 2012 from 6:30-8:30 pm.

Gallery hours are as listed:

Monday -Thursday: 8am-10pm
Friday: 8am-6pm
Saturday-Sunday: 11am-4pm

It is with deep appreciation to Hilbert College for the invitation that my selected works created over 10 years are for the first time gathered in one place for public viewing.

Many pieces have been included in the following art show; Fiberart Intrnational 2007, Craftforms Intentional 2006, Northeast Regional Contemporary Fiber Exhibition Rochester Contemporary Art Center 2011, Re.Cycle.fiber 2010, Paper or Plastic 2009, Runway 4.0 2011 as well as other local and International shows.

Dream Some - 2009 is a  face mask I created from discarded lottery tickets I picked up from being litter on the ground around a gasoline station while I lived in Savannah, Georgia while I was studying in the Graduate Fiber Program at Savannah College of Art & Design.  

Money was a huge issue with graduate students, myself included, the program was expensive $3000 a class at that time.  Even with the Fellowship Grant the college awarded me for my studies I was always aware of the cost of my educational experience.

The stock market had crashed in Fall 2008 and many people with advanced degrees plus years of work experience suddenly found themselves unemployed.  Many students shared their fears and frustrations of mounting student loan some reaching $150,000 in pursuit of the MFA degree at SCAD.

Would they ever find jobs doing the art work they loved?  How would the pay back the burden of mounting student loans?  Part of what led the students to study in MFA program was dissatisfaction with low paying jobs after they earned the bachelors degree.  Once they were in the program many felt there was no turning back, they had no choice but to push forward and dream of brighter days.

All of my art work begins with a creative vision.  

Dream Some 2009 came to me as I was walking around the town of Savannah, Georgia.    Troubled times from the stock market crashing, rising unemployment and rising gasoline prices weighed heavy on everyone's head.  Was it about Wall St. what about Main St. ?

As I walked I noticed many lottery tickets littered on the ground after they were found to be useless to the one who had once eagerly traded their hard earned money for the short lived dream of being rich.  Once the ticket was deemed useless it was thrown on the ground as trash.

I could see this mask in my minds eye as I gathered together all the broken dreams of these lottery ticket buyers.  Metaphorically I gathered these people into my head, my hands and my heart then began to cut, weave and fashion their discarded dreams into this mask that represents anyone who dares to Dream Some.
Related Posts with Thumbnails