Tuesday, December 7, 2010

" God intended motherhood to be a relay race. Each generation would pass the baton on to the next. "

" God intended motherhood to be a relay race. Each generation would pass the baton on to the next. "
Mary Pride

 During a Structural Materials and Process/3-D Fibers class at Savannah College of Art and Design,we spent spent weeks researching artists, identity issues and up cycling materials into our work.

 My time was spent on self awareness making choices and discovering where I stand in the world as a contemporary artist.  In the end I  came back to the choice I made as a young girl; being with my family is the highest priority for me.  Apron is the best metaphor for me as mother, gardener and home cook.

Aprons have used there for centuries. They are even considered as the most ancient of all garments, with one of the earliest mentions being the Biblical Story of the Garden of Eden, when Adam and Eve discovered they were naked that they fashioned aprons from fig leaves.

The hue for my Apron had to be green.  Green is considered the luckiest of colors.  Green signifies a positive change, good health, growth, healing, hope, vigor, vitality, peace, and serenity. It is also symbolic of ones strive to gain recognition and establish ones independence. Money, wealth and jealousy are often associated with this color. Light green symbolizes brilliance.

While I was in graduate school I longed to return home to start a cottage industry created for women and by women with my daughter Kara. I wanted the cottage industry to be larger than myself, to be eco friendly, to an have appreciation for the past while having an eye for the future.

This past weekend I observed with great pride and joy the fruits of my labor.  Our indie designer cottage industry, rice rafferty, was among the  talented artists featured at Chatham University Holiday Art Sale.


Together with my daughter, Kara Rice Rafferty, we have spent the last year building our dream cottage industry, designing and making one of a kind handmade fashions and accessories.

After we set up our table it was time to look at our work.
rice rafferty fashions and accessories are created from hand dyed fabrics, upcycled jewelry, hand build polymer clay rose.  
 <>
 
for more information and images please see


http://www.ricerafferty.com/


and


http://kararice.blogspot.com/2010/11/rice-rafferty-accessories-november-2010.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails