Wednesday, August 11, 2010

“When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school It’s a wonder I can think at all.“

“When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school. It’s a wonder I can think at all.“      Song: Kodachrome      Artist: Paul Simon

This weekend I am driving into Pittsburgh for my 36th Canevin High School  1974 Class Reunion.   To tell the truth I have never attended one of my reunions before.   I passed the offer to meet after five years it just did not seem like enough time had passed.  I was still in contact with a few of my good friends from high school. In 1979  I was married one year and pregnant with my first baby.   

Ten year reunion in 1984 was more tempting.  That time I actually sent the check to make my reservations then later called to cancel after giving the entire event more thought.   Kara was an infant I was nursing without a bottle or baby food @ that time.  Still totally in love with being a mom more than needing to check back in with people I never see from high school I opted out of that reunion also. 
I didn't know what happened to many of my high school class mates until a few years ago when everybody and their grandmother joined face book.  Through the magic of technology I have been reunited with a few school classmates from Canevin.   One guy, Dan Blankowski found me on face book in  Jan 2009 then told me he was planning a 36th reunion would like to be on the planning committee.  YES !!!  How fun would that be???  Imagine having a non reunion person think of things that might appeal to the other non reunion going segment of our class of 1974.

Dan went on the plan a POWER HOUSE of a Reunion http://www.bishopcanevin1974.org/reunions.php

Thank you Dan for all of your hard work !!!
Honestly, most of the people I went to high school with never saw me in unless they hung out in the art studios too.  

So we have a date & a website for the reunion. 

http://www.bishopcanevin1974.org/index.php   Isn't technology wonderful ???


 I never went to a prom so the best I can offer is this image of me at the Greentree Nature Center a place I enjoyed hiking in the woods that was pretty close to my home.  

and the website asked for an image us now


   I uploaded this image of me @ Niagara Falls one of the best producers of negative ions in the world (with approximately 600,000 US Gallons of water going over the Canadian Horseshoe Falls per second).


" Negative ions are odorless, tasteless, and invisible molecules that we inhale in abundance in certain environments. Once they reach our bloodstream, negative ions are believed to produce biochemical reactions that increase levels of the mood chemical serotonin, helping to alleviate depression, relieve stress, and boost our daytime energy."

   Two of my favorite movies are Peggy Sue Got Married http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091738/
and Romey & Michele's High School Reunion   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120032/
 are about high school reunions.


Those movies are as close to a high school reunion as I have allowed myself to get, UNTIL, this weekend.
  I am going to drive into Pittsburgh to attend the Unofficial Brunch that a few of the ladies planned for Saturday morning around 11:00 am.    Someone insisted we meet at the
 IHOP   Robinson Twp.   1002 Sutherland Dr   Pittsburgh, PA 15205

http://www.ihop.com/    Ihttp://www.urbanspoon.com/r/23/1444450/restaurant/Robinson/IHOP-Pittsburgh

I voted for their other option @ the Eat & Park which is a Pittsburgh intuition and has a big salad bar of veggies, but that was over ruled so I HOP it is. 

I can't wait to see who show up for this Unofficial Brunch.  What will we all look like now after 36 years away from Canevin?  What does everyone do with their time now?  Are they grandparents? Volunteer for great charity work ?  Did any of us invent or create anything to make this world a better place?
Are they retired or plan to keep working until they drop...  

Can't wait to see who shows up for Saturday Brunch ;~)

Maybe next time we  have a Canevin Class of 1974 Reunion I'll attend the Official Functions ???
Maybe not ;~)

 For now this is close enough ;~)   I'll post images in a later blog

Do you attend your high school reunions??? Why or Why not ???  Was it different than you expected ???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails