Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Today was a good day ;~)If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

You know how you wake up in the morning some days with a faint idea of how the day is going to be?
 Well this morning was the first of three workshops I was invited to teach to adults with developmental disabilities.  During the 90-minute workshops, local artists will teach basic skills in various media including painting, photography, printmaking, and paper making to people with developmental disabilities served by Opportunities Unlimited of Niagara and interested community members. http://www.opportunitiesunlimited.org/PressReleases.htm    

Hope to add images soon, privacy laws need to be respected here.

It was the responsibility of Marcia Ross, coordinator of fine arts, to select artists and projects that she felt would enhance the clients already wide range of art experience offered through the centers.
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/04/1070713/opportunities-are-indeed-unlimited.html

 I met with Marcia before leaving for Quebec check our equipment and to make paper samples to show the class.   The only thing different today was actually working with the class.
 
The plan was to get there by 9:30 so I left my home following the directions on the GPS. It was a different route than I would have taken on my own still I followed the directions as spoken by my Australian man Garmin voice companion.

All was going as planned until I looked down to see my check engine light on as I was driving the 190 to Niagara Falls, New York. Minor annoyance Carol, you will stop at the mechanics on the way home.  I tell myself stay focused and keep driving...

The students were so anxious to get started that Marcia had to redirect them out of the  room until we got all of the supplies set up.  At ten o'clock on the dot this morning I was greeted by eight of the most enthusiastic students I have ever had the pleasure of teaching. 

To get over the fear of the unknown I compared grinding paper to a pulp in the high speed blender with making a milkshake.  They all agreed, smiled and nodded their heads.  While I poured the paper slurry into the large pans of water I made the analogy of the paper pulp to oatmeal.   Everyone liked oatmeal so they were eager to step up to pull their first piece of paper with the deckled moulds.

 After everyone pulled one sheet of even paper we were ready to add dried flowers, glitter and pureed bits of recycled orange and purple paper into the pans.  I compared these additions to putting raisins and cinnamon into your oatmeal.   Again smiles then a ambitious round of pulling a sheet of both orange and purple paper.  Lastly I add in shredded paper with printed works that we pretended were secrets we were adding into the last mix of paper slurry.


All too soon the 90 minutes were up but not before we had stacks of paper made by each person in the class.  The students had worked hard and were more than ready to get out the door for their lunch. 

Awe Yes !!! Today was a good day ;~)    Their apprehension in the beginning turned to laughter, clapping, cheers and pride of being able to make a sheet of paper all by themselves.  Sharing my knowledge with the consumers of Opportunity Unlimited brought joy to my heart.  I can't wait until next week when I teach two more workshops in paper making.

Down off that "Mountain Top" experience Carol and back to reality you have a check engine light to attend to if you are going to drive to Lockport for the paper making workshops next week.  

My 2004 Toyota Corolla has given me no troubles since I bought it six years ago.  I figured, okay, let's just get it checked out, get the part ordered and get this problem fixed.   Even though I pulled onto the lot already full of people picking up their automobiles at 2:30 Noel was kind enough to look at my problem if I just waited a few minutes.

Noel Tucciarone owner of the shop by the same name on Main St. hooked the diagnostic computer up to my dash.  Joy of Joys ;~)  It was something to do with evaportation from not having the gas cap on tight enough.  Hubby was nice enough to fill my car with gas while I was in Quebec last week.  This was the first time I drove it any distance since I returned home. How blessed to have an honest mechanic I can trust ;~)

Today was good day indeed; share my knowledge with a group of happy adult, developmentally delayed students then finding out my check engine light only needed the gas cap to be put on tight.

I hope your day was a fulfilling as mine.  If your day left you with something to be desired ponder this quote.

If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails