Thursday, July 23, 2009


"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. "
— Virginia Woolf (A Room of One's Own)

For the past few days I have been having great fun playing in my studio again. My friend invited me to share a table with her at the Women's Gifts Arts and Crafts Festival in Buffalo, NY .
http://buffalowomensgifts.com/festival.htm

I have been designing and sewing Aprons that will be for sale soon. My designs are a hybrid between functional and costume. They can be worn as a functional apron or to dress up an outfit for a touch of panache.

Since I was a little girls I have enjoyed designing and sewing fabrics together creating a unique look. When I am sewing my mind has the joy and freedom of being a WWI Flying Ace doing aeronautic tricks in the sky. Since I have become very proficient with Fiber Reactive Dyes to make my own color palate and patterned fabrics I prefer to use my own fabrics when I sew clothing items. All of my pieces have at least one pocket. I LOVE POCKETS.


My love of aprons began when I was little. I used wear an apron like my mother and my grandmother to set the table, help make Sunday dinner, to be with the women in the kitchen.

I loved wearing an apron all day dancing, playing and have fun feeling dressed up.

When I put on my apron in my studio it is like putting on a "thinking cap". My mind calls me to work when I wear an apron but it is more fun than that.

As a Batista at Coffee Bay in 2001 I was issued a plain black apron with three pockets in the bottom front. This apron easily made the transition from cooks apron into artist apron when I worked in the college studio. Frequently, I wore the apron as I left the studio when I drove home. It felt comfortable wearing the apron into the store as I ran errands on my way home. People often asked me for help finding products or to make a decision on the purchases. My aprons are design to be functional without the institutional look of a ubiquitous apron.

After I work in my studio I enjoy using my creative energy in my kitchen.


Whole Wheat Pastry Crust

Chill utensils and all ingredients.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Sift together
1 C sifted stone ground whole wheat flour
1/2 C sifted stone ground whole wheat pastry flour
2 t sugar
1/2 t salt

Cut in 1/2 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil till largest pieces are pea-size.
Sprinkle 4-5 T cold water over mixture
1 T at a time, tossing with a fork after each addition, till moistened just enough to hold together. Add less or more as needed.Quickly form into ball, working dough as little as possible.Lightly sift flour onto large piece of flattened waxed paper or baking parchment.Place ball in center of waxed paper or baking parchment and roll to 1/8" thick.

I cut slices of fresh washed free stone peaches, I leave the skins on for extra fiber
Add about 1/4 cup instant Tapioca to thicken the liquid as the fresh fruit pie bakes
season with Cinnamon, either raw sugar or honey to taste I use much less than the 1/2 cup that most recipes call for. For extra color, taste and sweet without sugar layer fresh strawberries, blueberries or cherries between the slices of fresh peaches.

I rolled out the extra pie crust sprinkled it with Parmesan cheese, cut the dough into 1" strips then baked until crisp. Dip these crackers strips into Jalapeno Jelly. Great with a glass of wine.

Enjoy ;~)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails