Monday, July 27, 2009

The soul selects her own society... Emily Dickinson


The soul selects her own society,
Then shuts the door;
On her divine majority
Obtrude no more.

Unmoved, she notes the chariot's pausing
At her low gate;
Unmoved, an emperor is kneeling
Upon her mat.

I've known her from an ample nation
Choose one;
Then close the valves of her attention
Like stone.
Emily Dickinson


Lately, I have been in a reclusive mode. Over a week ago I filled my car with gasoline, yesterday, while out for a drive I noticed the tank still registers on FULL TANK !!! Sometimes I am in a very social mode when I can't get enough of people, events, crowds, happenings...
Now, I am healing, finding comfort from working in my studio making aprons. While making my aprons I am wishing wellness and good thoughts to the people who be the future caretakers of my aprons.
I never imagined graduate school would turn out this way, however, no experience can be deemed a bad experience, if, one takes it as a lesson in life. My reaction to leaving graduate art college was more like the quest that propels a prisoner of war to search for escape rather than a student leaving an institution of higher learning. At first I was in shock, soon my disbelief changed to pure adrenaline. This energy sustained me as I pushed my petal to the metal driving from Savannah to Pittsburgh in twelve hours. Each mile behind me fueled my euphoria all the while envisioning the comfort of my own home in Clarence, NY. The next day, exhausted but safely home, I entered the back door to silence albeit the snoring of our twelve year old Pomeranian. Crawling beside Chewie, laying my exhausted body on the kitchen floor, Chewie reached up to smell my face. Half in disbelief that I had returned he licked my ear, put his head calmly on my chest, then went back to sleep. I was HOME !!!


Comfort Food that is good for the body and the heart.


Low Fat Dark Cocoa Pudding


Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablespoons cornstarch
3 cups reduced-fat (2%) milk
equivalent of 1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preparation:
1. Combine cocoa powder and cornstarch in medium microwavable bowl or 1-quart glass measure. Gradually add milk, stirring with wire whisk until well blended.
2. Microwave on HIGH 2 minutes; stir. Microwave on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 1-1/2 minutes.
3. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon, if desired. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving, stirring occasionally to prevent skin from forming. Serve warm or chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails