Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"Life is like an onion: You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."
Carl Sandburg

What I am feeling this week makes me think of how one might feel while going through a DIVORCE. Granted, I have never been divorced. Still, I can imagine the pain one could feel when you put all of your energy, emotion and economic resources into a relationship that is the cause of great anxiety. Hopefully, no one enters a commitment without counting the cost, unfortunately at some point, it seems more logical to pull the plug than to continue generating excruciating stress.

I have heard from friends who have gone through a divorce that an unexpected outcome, along with the break up, they experienced being shunned. People who previously invited them to holidays, parties or other social gatherings felt compelled to take sides in the break up. A dividing of social relationships along with the property seems to take place.

When someone leaves a marriage, a job or even moves away from a neighborhood we naturally examine our own life conditions and reasons for staying in a place someone else chooses to leave. It is interesting how one mans ceiling is another mans floor.

Upon returning to pack up the apartment that had been my home from last August to end of May I found three of my neighbors were moving out this week also. Unknowingly, my timing was impeccable. One person in particular is the single man who lived in the apartment next door. He had delivered me delicious home cooked dinners along with numerous offers to come over to his place for drinks in the evening.

Although he was a nice guy as well as being a great cook, I explained my reason for being in Savannah was strictly graduate school. I was definitely not looking for trouble. He must have been happy with my response as he now enjoys chatting with my husband as much as he did me. We exchanged phone numbers, kept in touch while I was at home during the summer and will meet again later sometime I am sure. It will be interesting to see how many other people I have formed bonds with during the past few years will remain in contact with me.

People are in your life for a reason, a season or forever...

back to packing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails