Thursday, December 3, 2009

Nothing Says Loving Like Something from the Oven - 1933 Cookbook Pages -- DESERT - HOME BAKING

"Nothing Says Loving Like Something from the Oven "- 1933 Cookbook Pages -- DESERT - HOME BAKING
Over the river and through the woods, well maybe more like across NY State 90 we go for a weekend visit with Barry and Meghan.
My excitement is building as I sort through what is necessary and what needs to stay behind to make this an efficient, enjoyable visit.
Barry requested that I bring a few samples from our Thanksgiving dinner. Adittionally, I decided to bake some of our family favorites Danish Nut Horn Rolls to bring love from my home to his.
On Saturday we are graciously invited to be dinner guests in of the Ellsburg family home who are good friends of Barry and Meghan. Having heard so many nice things about this family I look forward to meeting them this weekend. Of course I assembled a package of the Nut Rolls as a hostess gift.

On Sunday afternoon I am invited to be a dinner guest of my good friend from Canevin High School, James McDonald. He mentioned something about making Flan for dessert to follow his Italian dinner. Who can resisit a dinner invitation to the bounty of a mans kitchen. I want to be sure he knows how much I appreciate this dinner invitation so I am making a package of the Nut Rolls to share my baking with Jim too.

This Danish Nut Horn Roll recipe made it's first appearance into my mother's repertoire of baking extravaganzas more than 45 years ago. She received it from her Austrian friend and neighbor I affectionately called Aunt Martha.

Danish Nut Rolls

3/4 plus 2 Tablespoons of Evaporated Milk
3 cups flour (I used King Arthur white unbleached whole wheat flour with great results)
2 sticks of butter room temperature
1 pkg dry yeast
2 Tablespoons warm water
1 tsp pure lemon extract ( I also grate fresh lemon zest into the dough)
3 eggs ( separate, add egg yolks to the dough, reserve the egg white, cover with plastic wrap, store in the refrig overnight)

I put all of the above ingredients and mix together in my Kitchen Aid mixer using the bread dough hook for about 5 minutes; be sure to scrape the dry ingredients off the sides of the bowl. When thoroughly mixed cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator over night.

Next day, preheat oven 375 degree oven.

Beat egg whites with Kitchen Aid mixer into a fluffy whip consistency, beat in 1 cup white sugar, ( I keep sugar on the light side) continue to beat until stiff. Fold in 1 cut chopped nuts, I used a half walnut/half pecan mix.

On a pastry cloth covered in 10X sugar, cut dough into four equal parts, roll out one section at a time on the 10x sugar to prevent sticking. Spread on quarter of the nut meringue mixture over the circle of dough.



Cut a cross making four quarters, divide each quarter into two, three or four wedges to make large rolls or smaller sized cookies.


Roll up each wedge from the wide side first to make an attractive roll.
Bake for around 20 minutes in a 375 degree oven.

I plan to make this recipe a few time to give as special gifts throughout this Holiday Season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails